Russian Debian-based Distribution (Astra Linux)
System Installation & Post Installation
Yandex Browser working (playing videos)
Change the Yandex search engine to render English results.
Astra Linux Display (IMAGE: RusBITech)
- Astra Linux Common Edition Installation Essentials
- Nov 2022 – version: orel-220.127.116.11-23.07.2022_07.53
- Issues with repository after upgrade Open the Info Center from start menu and note the Astra Linux version Open Synaptic package manager and disable the old sources (repositories). Create a new source to correspond with the Info Center information.
- Astra Linux links Get the ROSA Image writer for win/mac or Linux here.
GNU/Linux Distribution Astra Linux Common Edition Write to USB using ROSA Image Writer or similar Use the guided installation and follow the prompts (Guided LVM with encryption is advised). The Red Book addresses any questions outside the information in this post.
Consider installing the latest 'generic kernel'. After installing, set your firewall or set it up during installation.
Astra Linux Common Edition 2.12.45
stable main contrib non-free
Astra Linux Common Edition 2.12.44
stable main contrib non-free
Reference latest links from the official site.
Download installation ISO at Mega Cloud.
Astra Linux official user guide.
- Debian non-free Sources
To install the Yandex Browser, you need the Debian (buster) sources. Additionally, the stretch sources may prove useful in future. Add these sources now, and enable them only for specific packages, and install packages with careful attention to warnings. Disable them after installing whatever you need.
Hotkeys for terminal are Meta+t (you can change it – search for fly hotkeys editor in the start menu).
- Add The Sources
- Import The Keys
Alt+T to open a terminal, then issue this to open the sources file for editing.
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
Add these lines:
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free deb https://mirror.yandex.ru/debian/ buster main contrib non-free
Enter these into the terminal one command at a time
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 648ACFD622F3D138
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 0E98404D386FA1D9
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 605C66F00D6C9793
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 112695A0E562B32A
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 54404762BBB6E853
After adding the debian sources, update the sources.'sudo apt-get update'
Now you can install this keyring from the debian sources
sudo apt install debian-archive-keyring
- Yandex Browser
- Get the Yandex Package
- Download and Install deb Package
- Update FFMPEG If you installed the stable version of the browser:
- Install Other Libraries These are required for playing video from streaming sites or DRM protected content. First, enable buster sources. Then install the libraries.
- Yandex Search Engine To allow for the Yandex Search engine to render English results instead of Russian ones, in the browser settings on the left of the Settings page, enter 'search engine' then Click 'Add' to create a new search engine link. Name the new entry: Yandex Provide a shortcut key eg.: yan Enter this link:
Open a terminal in the directory containing the deb package.
List the contents to see the name of the package
(pay attention to the name of the downloaded Yandex-.deb package)
sudo dpkg -i Yandex.deb
If you installed the beta version:
sudo apt update && sudo apt-get -t buster install libc6 libu2f-udev gstreamer1.0-libav
Remember to disable the buster source after completing this step. Odysee videos should now play without any errors. You will need to reboot before DRM protected streaming services will work.
This procedure is courtesy of the users at the Astra Linux Forum.
Save the engine and set it as 'default'